#studyabroad in Cairo, Egypt!
AREA & ARABIC LANGUAGE STUDIES PROGRAM IN CAIRO, EGYPT
is excited to welcome students back to Umm al-Dunya (Cairo, “Mother of the World”) with top-notch academic programming that takes full advantage of the unsurpassed vibrancy of the Egyptian capital’s cultural and intellectual life. Our interdisciplinary course offerings immerse students in contemporary Egypt, its history, and heritage while giving them the opportunity to intensively study both Egyptian colloquial and Modern Standard Arabic. Co-curricular activities, excursions, homestays, guided intercultural reflection, and pre-departure and onsite support provide students a holistic environment for meeting their academic goals while staying healthy and safe.
- Colloquial Egyptian Arabic (3 credits) is required
- Modern Standard Arabic (5 credits) is recommended
- Elective Area Studies courses (3 credits each) taught in English in a variety of disciplines including a Community-Based Learning course. Courses have been drawn from Middle East & North Africa studies, history, political science, sociology, and Egyptology
- Media Arabic (3 credits) is also available as an elective
- ANTH 350 - Pharaonic, Coptic & Modern Cairo
- ECON 320 - Economic Development of the Middle East & North Africa
- ECON 325 - The Political Economy of Egypt in the 21st Century
- HIST 351 - Introduction to Ancient Egypt
- MENA 390 - Community-Based Learning
- POLS 320 - International Relations in the Middle East & North Africa
- POLS 368 - Contemporary Egyptian Politics
- SOCY 350 - Understanding Contemporary Cairo